Frequently Asked Questions in Utah DUI Cases
1. Will I be able to get my case dismissed because I was not read my rights?
Probably not. But if you were interrogated after being placed in custody, your statements can not be used against you.
2. Will I go to jail?
An experienced attorney may be able to keep you out.
3. I had two alcohol offenses when I was younger. What will happen to my license if I have a third conviction?
Your license will be automatically revoked for two years.
4. How many hours of alcohol classes will I have to take?
Plan on at least 24-48 hours, one two hour session per week. The higher your BAC, the more hours you will have to take.
5. What will happen if I do not complete the classes or public service ordered by the Court?
You will go to jail.
6. I lost my Utah license. May I obtain a license in another state?
In most cases, no.
7. If I obtain an international driver’s license, may I drive in Utah, even though my Utah license is revoked?
8. Am I a bad person, because I was arrested for DUI?
No, but you are well advised never, never smell like alcohol while behind the wheel.
9. What if I burped within 15 minutes of blowing?
The breath machine may have read alcohol from your stomach rather than you lungs. The result may be incorrect. A similar problem occurs with dentures.